Cheesy twisted Cod with sauteed grean beans

Wednesday, April 7, 2010




I made that name up. :) In my RR days, I noticed she would make some really dumb names for her food. And I always remembered them!!!! Why is it that when something bothers you, it sticks with you? So one day when I open my restaurant (if I win the lottery) this is a contender for the menu. Don't steel it, please! I'll gladly make it for you when I open up.

BJ loves Goldfish. Not the chemically generated "pet" that you win at the carnival (mine died after a week, which may have been a world record), but the cracker you can buy at the grocery store. Week after week I buy the whole grain original Goldfish in the regular-sized bag. But he'll eat all of that in 3 days, so the last time I bought some I decided to get the economy-size container. It comes in a giant milk carton shaped container. You could pour a glass of Goldfish and it wouldn't look that silly. Needless to say, he only got through half the box before he thought they were getting stale.

I have a hard time wasting food, so I decided I would do what anyone would do. Crush some of them up and use it for breading on fish! Okay, maybe normal people would just throw away the box, but I'm definitely not normal. And love fried fish!! But I know eating fried stuff is bad, so I pan fried it and baked it through. Maybe it's not that much better, but it sure made me feel better, and that's what counts... right? I used cod because it's a meaty fish that isn't too fishy for me. I hate when you pan fry fish and the edges have been dried out because they are thinner then the middle. Plus, it reminds me of weekends at Baybrook eating Luby's for lunch. That's a little embarrassing. But I think 97% of my visits to Luby's I got the fried cod with mashed potatoes and a roll. Mmmmm..... One of my favorite meals. That's also embarrassing.

Recipe:

Cod (my piece was about .8 lb, and I sliced it into 4 smaller pieces)
Approximately 240 Goldfish, crushed :) (1 - 2 cups, I used more just because I had SO MANY!!)
1/2 cup of Parmesan
1/4 cup of flour
1 egg
2 tbsp of olive oil
salt, pepper, and chili powder for seasoning the flour

1/2 lb of fresh green beans, tips trimmed off
2 tbsp of chopped onions
1 tbsp of chopped garlic
1 tbsp of olive oil
salt to season water

Season a pot of water with salt for the green beans. Boil those on medium to high while preparing the fish.

Turn the oven on 375. Dry the fish with a paper towel. Have your 3 dipping stations ready for prep. I like to get 2 pieces of wax paper for the bread crumbs and flour, then beat the egg with a little water in a shallow bowl. The wax paper makes clean up easier. Mix the Goldfish crumbs with half the parmesan. Heat your pan with the olive oil. Dip each piece of fish in the flour, then dredge in the egg, then dip in the breadcrumbs. Make sure the crumbs cover the whole fish. Pan fry each side for 3 minutes to brown them. Finish them off in the oven for 10 minutes. At 5 minutes take them out and sprinkle the rest of the parmesan on.

During the last 5 minutes of the fish baking, prepare the beans. Drain the water, then put them back in the pan with the onions. Saute with the olive oil for a few minutes, or until the onions are to your liking. I like the onions almost clear, so it took about 3 minutes. Then add the chopped garlic, stir for another minute.



It's also a really pretty meal.

My fish and green beans were done at the same time. I served with a slice of lemon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Delicious cheesy goodness. A new favorite way to eat fish!

Jen said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. I hope you will continue doing it.

Post a Comment