The best chicken tortilla soup, it only takes 30 minutes!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Growing up we had soup once a week. At least. Vegetable soup, beef soup, hamburger soup, chicken soup, chili, potato soup on special occasions... When my aunt, uncle and cousins from Kansas moved here, they thought we were insane for eating soup all year long. Especially summer when you wish it was as cool as 92 degrees. But it's so good! I don't make it very often since BJ is also from the north and usually doesn't want soup in the summer. So when he's out of town I make a huge pot and eat it all week.

For the past few weeks I've been on a tortilla soup kick. I can't stop thinking about it! First I had some from Chuy's (one of the best!). Even after eating more than one person should in one sitting, I was still craving it. So the next week I had the El Rey tortilla soup (as equally awesome as Chuy's). Again, I ate more than I should. And it still didn't cure my craving. Oh, don't get me wrong, it was good to the last drop! Literally, if any was left in the plastic container, I got it. So this week I decided to make some hoping it will cure my craving for good! Or, at least for a few weeks so I can eat other things besides soup. Plus, it's super quick, inexpensive, and easy. I'm hoping that RR would be proud of me with my quick recipe.

30 minute chicken tortilla soup

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Half a medium onion, coarsely chopped
Half a green bell pepper, very coarsely chopped
Half a red bell pepper, very coarsely chopped
1 cup of frozen corn
1 jalapeno
4 cups chicken stock (more if you like a lot of broth)
1 cup packed cilantro, stems are okay
1 16oz can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cumin
Chicken meat from half a rotisserie chicken (more if you it meaty)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Corn tortilla cut into 1/2 inch wide strips

Garnishes:
Avocado
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Lime

Saute the onions, corn, bell peppers, and jalapenos in the oil until soft.



Allow the veggies to get a little brown on one side for a grilled flavor.



Add the chicken broth and cilantro. Crush or chop up the tomatoes as fine or course as you like. I usually pour all the contents from the can in a small bowl and squish the tomatoes by hand. Stir, then add tomatoes with the juice and cumin.



Stir, then add the chicken and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes.

While simmering, heat the other tablespoon of oil for 1 minute. Add the tortilla strips in one layer (don't crowd them, or they will get too soggy) and cook on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.



Assemble and eat!!! I usually add one of each garnished listed above. This is BJ's bowl of soup since he makes his prettier. It only take 30 minutes!

It's been a few hours since I ate it. I don't think I've been cured yet.

1 comments:

HKaye said...

I have to try this recipe as I am also craving this soup all the time and don't have an El Rey on my side of town!! Thanks

Post a Comment